Count Sheep Like a Champion
By Dr. Gregg Baron
Successful people understand that establishing great sleeping habits is critical to their success. That’s why bedtime routines are a ritual that is non-negotiable!
Here are nine nightly habits you can develop to “Count Sheep” like a champion!
1. Read. Leaders are Readers. Successful people consider reading before bed indispensable. Reading is the hallmark of a champion.
2. Meditate. Why medicate when you can meditate? People who meditate before bed fall asleep faster, sleep more deeply and absolutely wake up with a heightened sense of vitality.
3. Review your Wins and Rocks. Your Wins are everything that went well today, while your Rocks are those things that continue to pose challenges to you. Write down solutions to turn your “Rocks” into pebbles so they are easier to overcome.
4. Review your “To-Be” list. Your “To-Be” List is your personal mission and purpose statement. Remember, “Who you Be” determines what you’ll do to create the life you desire!
5. Disconnect from work. Everybody needs some down time, so you can’t always think about your business. Stress and recovery are part of the same engage and disengage cycle. To be more successful, let go of your work before counting sheep!
6. Spend time with family. At the end of your life, you’ll wish you spent less time at the office and more time with your family. When would NOW be the right time to plant those cuddle seeds with your wife and kids?
7. Create your “Counting Sheep Plan”. Successful people understand that failing to plan is planning to fail. If life throws you a curve ball or you are knocked off rhythm for whatever reason, make a sleep schedule and catch up on those zzzz’s.
8. Lay down with a smile. The last thing in your mind before you nod off should be something pleasurable, uplifting, soothing, or loving, to lull you into a great pre-sleep state. The face you lay down with is the face you wake up with…and the face you wake up with is the same face you will keep with you throughout the day! J
9. Picture tomorrow’s success TONIGHT and cultivate an attitude of gratitude. Imagine great results in advance and see yourself achieving your goals and expectations. Give thanks for the opportunity to serve those around you and willingly accept the rewards that come your way.
Great sleeping habits can be trained exactly like any other skill. Choose to create those habits based on choice, not by chance. Sleep is contagious…get infected by the “I can” virus and watch what happens to your daily performance! You will show up with more focus and greater clarity of mind than ever before. Nighty Night!